PhytoGen Expands Portfolio of W3FE Varieties for 2018
PhytoGen announces five new varieties with WideStrike 3 Insect Protection and the Enlist cotton trait to complement existing PhytoGen W3FE varieties, offering a full portfolio for the 2018 growing season.
“When you combine these trait technologies with our PhytoGen Breeding Traits and high-yielding genetics, PhytoGen W3FE varieties offer growers cottonseed that is unrivaled in U.S. cotton,” says Hank King, U.S. leader for PhytoGen.
PhytoGen is the only cottonseed company to offer varieties with the Enlist cotton trait, giving producers tolerance to three herbicide modes of action – 2,4-D choline, glyphosate and glufosinate – to help eliminate tough-to-control and resistant weeds. All PhytoGen brand varieties with the Enlist cotton trait also include WideStrike 3 for improved bollworm control.
All PhytoGen W3FE varieties have excellent seedling vigor ratings and include PhytoGen Breeding Traits for bacterial blight resistance. Many new W3FE varieties are additionally tolerant to Verticillium wilt and resistant to root-knot nematodes for regions susceptible to these yield-robbing pests.
Two new, early maturing PhytoGen brand varieties – PHY 230 W3FE and PHY 250 W3FE – offer excellent, consistent yield and fiber quality. Selected for the Northern High Plains, these smooth leaf, shorter stature varieties are best suited to areas with moderate to good water and medium to heavy soils. Both are storm-tolerant and carry the PhytoGen Breeding Trait for excellent Verticillium wilt tolerance.
The three new 400-series PhytoGen brand varieties are highly competitive to all the best yielding cottonseed currently on the market, including PhytoGen brand PHY 444 WRF. These new varieties feature the W3FE trait platform and have the PhytoGen Breeding Trait for bacterial blight resistance.
- PHY 430 W3FE – This mid-maturing, medium stature variety is very broadly adapted, with exceptional yields and excellent fiber quality to fit and perform in most areas across the Cotton Belt.
- PHY 440 W3FE – Best adapted for mid- to mid-full maturing markets, this variety has excellent yield with exceptional fiber quality. It is smooth leaf and features PhytoGen Breeding Traits for industry-leading, root-knot nematode resistance.
- PHY 480 W3FE– Another mid-maturing variety with excellent yield, premium fiber quality, a semi-smooth leaf and PhytoGen Breeding Traits for industry-leading, root-knot nematode resistance.
Also for 2018, PhytoGen will have commercial availability of the following PhytoGen W3FE varieties that helped growers thrive last season:
- PHY 300 W3FE– An early maturing variety with outstanding yield and superb fiber quality from dryland to good irrigated conditions. It has excellent storm tolerance and the PhytoGen Breeding Traits for bacterial blight resistance and Verticillium wilt tolerance.
- PHY 330 W3FEand PHY 340 W3FE – These early to mid-maturing PhytoGen brand varieties have superior yield and excellent fiber quality from dryland to good water with the PhytoGen Breeding Traits for bacterial blight resistance.
- PHY 450 W3FEand PHY 490 W3FE – Two mid-maturing varieties with high yield and excellent fiber quality with the PhytoGen Breeding Traits for bacterial blight resistance and Verticillium wilt tolerance.
Pima and Acala Varieties
As the U.S. leader in Pima and Acala cottonseed, PhytoGen also premieres these newest offerings for 2018:
- PHY 888 RF– A full-season and full-statured variety, this Pima offers Genuity Roundup Ready Flex with outstanding yield and fiber quality. It also has the PhytoGen Breeding Trait for improved tolerance to Fusarium Race 4.
- With more than 80% of Western cotton acres planted to PhytoGen, the company will again offer popular PhytoGen brand Acala variety PHY 764 WRF and Pimas PHY 841 RF and PHY 881 RF.
For more information on these varieties and the new PhytoGen TRiO seed treatment, contact your local PhytoGen territory manager or cotton development specialist, or visit PhytoGen.com.
Source – PhytoGen