Lubbock Raising More Profit Event to Focus on Water, Weed Management for Profitability
Profitability is a continuing challenge for cotton growers, especially during a time of increasing input costs and declining prices.
With an eye toward helping enhance profitable cotton production, the upcoming Raising More Profit seminar in Lubbock, TX will focus on an array of topics, highlighted by presentations on managing water use for increased profitability and cost-effective practices to combat emerging herbicide-resistant weed issues.
The seminar – hosted by Cotton Grower magazine and presented by Bayer CropScience – will be held on August 26 at the Bayer Museum of Agriculture, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The Raising More Profit series was developed to provide information on timely topics of interest and tips on profitable cotton production.
The opening session in Lubbock will feature Dr. Jim Bordovsky, senior research scientist with Texas A&M Agrilife, on water use efficiency and the economic impact that proper water management can have on cotton yields, and Dr. Wayne Keeling, Extension weed specialist with Texas A&M Agrilife, on emerging issues with herbicide resistant weeds and the potential effect on a grower’s bottom line in terms of yield reductions and the costs of weed control programs.
Both presentations will be followed by representatives of Bayer CropScience, who will provide additional information on products, varieties and technologies to help growers enhance production in both irrigated and dryland situations, as well as manage weed resistance.
Following the opening session, attendees will be invited to visit five breakout areas for informal discussion and interaction:
- Seed Treatments – A discussion on treatment options that protect a grower’s seed investment and enhance a crop’s healthy start and profit potential.
- Cotton Varieties and Traits – A review of the yield and profit potential and other characteristics for FiberMax cotton varieties.
- Spray Demonstration and Herbicide Application BMPs – A look at how selecting the proper nozzle can impact application accuracy and – ultimately – a grower’s bottom line, led by an expert from Greenleaf Technologies.
- Branding Fiber for Greater Marketability – A look at how the Bayer CropScience e3 program is adding downstream value to cotton to help put more money in growers’ pockets.
- Farm Bill Update and Planning – An update on Farm Bill implementation and key decisions that growers need to make to ensure profitable production, led by Dr. Jackie Smith, Texas A&M Agrilife economist.
Four poster presentations will also be available for attendees to review prior to lunch:
- Bee Health
- Respect the Rotation Integrated Weed Management Initiative
- Bayer CropScience Investment in the Lubbock Area
- Tour of the Bayer Museum of Agriculture
Invitations for the Raising More Profit seminar in Lubbock – including registration information – have been mailed or are available from Bayer CropScience representatives. Online registration for the meeting is also available now.
The Raising More Profit seminar in Lubbock is one of three scheduled meetings throughout the Cotton Belt. The first session was held in Memphis, TN on June 25, with the second meeting set for Tifton, GA on August 19.